Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saddle-stitching

I've noticed that a number of my gaming products that I bought in regards to S&W have started doing the bend. I stack those books and magazines, and the side that's stapled is thicker than the open side, so they tend to bend up. Last night I was going through them, and they all have a permanent bend now, thanks to sitting on top of each other. Blah.

I know many of the products can't be perfect-bound due to length or publisher circumstances, but I have to say that I really prefer perfect-bound books, after looking through my staple-bound books. They tend to be flat, and so stand the rigors of shelf life a little better. And I won't have to worry about staples rusting in 10 years.

Just an observation that I thought I'd share. I'm sure some people feel the opposite way, possibly for very good reasons.

2 comments:

ze bulette said...

I print mine out at Kinko's and have them coil bind them for me - they lie nice and flat that way. It can be a bit pricey depending on what options you go with, but I love the end result.

waysoftheearth said...

I've noticed the same with letter sized (or thereabouts) products, but it doesn't seem so bad with the digest-sized booklets -- at least not the old ones.

p.s. Missing you over at hinterlands ;)