Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mini Settings

Nentir_Vale and the town of Fallcrest are the mini-setting being used by WotC for 4e. I really like the idea of the Vale, but WotC has cancelled the gazetteer they had planned. That's pretty disappointing for me, as it's the only 4e book I was even going to buy, outside of the PHB I got when the game was released.

It got me thinking about Thunder Rift, as well. I had a lot of fun with that setting back in the day. It was also canned, but it did get a series of adventures published for it before going away. Thunder Rift could be  a little goofy with ninja rakasta and knights running around, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I'd love to see something similar published for either S&W White Box or BFRPG. There's the beginnings of such a setting in Morgansfort, but it's really just three dungeons and a base of operations. A more detailed treatment would be great.

I might take a swing at this, myself. Not sure yet. I've also been kicking around the idea of doing my own personal Nentir Vale setting book, but I'd be very limited in what I could do with it, since it's not OGL. If I did this, I'd want to make a print-on-demand book for it, since I still think there aren't nearly enough print products available, outside of umpteen different very similar rulebooks.

1 comment:

Akrasia said...

Good old Thunder Rift! I think that I have almost all of the modules for that setting, but sadly I've never used any of them.

It's a nice mini-setting, and I agree that there should be more such products available.