Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Preserving old gaming stuff

Grognardia's Post on Tekumel got me thinking about this. I think it's really cool that a group of guys are preserving all of MAR Barker's Tekumel stuff. I really do hope they plan on releasing everything to the public. This could easily end up like all the Tolkien stuff, where there are more books of notes and world design than there are novels. I think the globe he was really cool, as well. I'd love for something similar to be marketed for the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk.

One thing I will say is that this kind of reminds me of when we moved my grandmother into a retirement home. She was really old, and didn't completely understand what was going on. She just saw all of her things getting boxed up and taken away. It was really sad. I know Barker is getting pretty old, but I hope he doesn't end up feeling the same way. At least his things are going to be preserved, and hopefully shared with all Tekumel fans. (edit: He's very much involved in the preservation group, apparently, so that's pretty damn awesome!).

It is too bad the Gygax's aren't like-minded. From what I've seen, we might never get anything else from Gary's collection, or if we do, it could be years from now.

No comments: