Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Now that S&B is done

I plan on never doing another book again on my own. From now on, if I have an idea, I'm just submitting it to Fight On!. Layout and art is way too much hassle for me to bother with. It just seems like POD publishers go out of their way to make publishing with them difficult.

Regards the print version, I have the text uploaded. I have no way to do the cover, since I don't have a program that works with the cover template formats. I have sent emails out, so hopefully I will hear something back by Monday. At least RPGNow and Lightning provide avenues of communication, unlike Lulu.

6 comments:

Pontifex said...

Sorry to hear you are discouraged.

Layout is no piece of cake. If it was, I couldn't make a living doing it

I hadn't been following your saga due to focusing on my argument with Zak. I would have helped if I had paid more attention.

John Matthew Stater said...

Hang in there - it gets easier the more times you do it.

Talysman said...

What's the problem with the template? Don't they just use TIFF?

Dan said...

No, the templates are for various layout programs, and a pdf version that I can't get to work right.

Talysman said...

You can't open the PDF with The GIMP and build your cover on layers above the PDF background? That's what I had to do when I was designing a wrap-around cover and disc label for a DVD project I was working on. The hard part was that the final layout had to be CMYK instead of RGB, and I didn't have anything to do that at the time. Fortunately, ImageMagick saved my butt.

Dan said...

I could except that I can't get the pdf to scale correctly with their template. I messed around with it for a while with no success.