Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Box sets

Seems like there are a ton of box sets coming out lately. I've personally ordered the S&W WhiteBox boxed set and the Dragon Age box set. I will be very happy when they arrive. Even WotC is catching the fever, releasing multiple box sets to cover levels 1 to 5. I like this trend, as it really does show that rpgs are games, not books.

Too many rpgs have made the mistake that a 500 page book is a great game. It works for people who already play rpgs, but falls flat with normal people who might otherwise join the hobby. And that is a big problem, as I think everyone can agree that our awesome hobby is slowly shrinking, as people get older and leave.

I hope that the new box set trend will reverse this, though I suspect the best it will do is slow down the decline. At the very least, I plan on making more purchases than I might have otherwise, which may or may not be a good thing.

No comments: